GetCareNow – Reserve Your ER Arrival Time
For life-threatening emergencies call 9-1-1
Let us know you’re coming. Select your emergency room arrival time and wait at home until your time to be seen.
St. Francis Medical Center, we strive to make it easier for you to handle life’s unexpected events. This service is just one more way that we are transforming the healthcare experience.
Our Emergency Room physicians and nurses are specialists in emergency medical care, ensuring they are able to provide excellent care for any illness, injury, or trauma.
Each year, more than 50,000 patients receive emergency medical care in our Emergency Room. Our Emergency Room is open 24/7 to patients of all ages.
For further information, contact us at 310-900-8900
About Our ER Wait Time
ER wait time is the average wait time for a patient to see a registered nurse during the triage (evaluation) process in our ER. After patients are triaged (evaluated), they are seen by qualified medical professionals in priority order, according to their medical condition and reason for visit. Times are approximate and provided for information purposes only.
The St. Francis Medical Center Emergency Room has the following designations:
- Emergency Department Approved for Pediatrics (EDAP)
- Approved STEMI Receiving Center
- Geriatric Emergency Department Accreditation
- Certified Primary Stroke Center
- Designation as a 5150 Receiving Facility for adult behavioral health patients under involuntary evaluation
- Designated Paramedic Base Station
St. Francis Medical Center is a Level II Trauma Center as verified by the American College of Surgeons. We are the only trauma center in our service area, providing care to more than 1,800 trauma patients a year.
Geriatric Emergency Department
St. Francis Medical Center is proud to announce its recent Geriatric Emergency Department (emergency room) Accreditation by the American College of Emergency Physicians. St. Francis is the largest, most comprehensive geriatric accredited emergency department in South Los Angeles County. This designation recognizes the hospital’s commitment and ability to deliver the highest standards of care for older adults within the community.
The Geriatric Emergency Department ( emergency room) Accreditation designation means that our care of older adults includes:
· Following proven best practices and standardized approaches to care that address issues common to seniors. This includes routine screening for delirium, dementia, and fall risk, among other senior vulnerabilities.
· Ensuring geriatric-focused education and staffing expertise from a range of disciplines.
· Facilitating optimal transitions of care from the emergency department to other settings (inpatient, home, community-based care, rehabilitation, long-term care).
· Having resources and equipment that are appropriate and that support care of older adults.
The geriatric accreditation reflects the hospital’s commitment to the delivery of excellent care for aging individuals. Our approach allows us to provide well-coordinated care for our senior population and the best possible experience. Older adults visiting our emergency department can be assured that we have the necessary expertise, equipment and personnel in place to provide superior, age-appropriate care.
Emergency Obstetric Care Access
St. Francis Medical Center is pleased to announce its new Obstetrical Emergency Department (OB-ED) located in our Family Life Center. If you are at least 20 weeks pregnant and feel you may have an OB emergency, please come directly to our Family Life Center. Our friendly staff will check you into our OB-ED, where you will be cared for by our highly skilled team of OB-ED physician and nurse specialists.
St. Francis is a designated Primary Stroke Center by Joint Commission, the leading accrediting body for hospitals in the United States. Our stroke program has earned the Gold Plus Performance Achievement Award from the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association for excellence in stroke care. This award recognizes our commitment to patient care and to improving patient survival rates.
These awards recognize the hospital’s commitment to ensuring stroke patients receive the most appropriate treatment according to nationally recognized, research-based guidelines based on the latest scientific evidence.
St. Francis Medical Center earned the award by meeting specific quality achievement measures for the diagnosis and treatment of stroke patients at a set level for a designated period. These measures include evaluation of the proper use of medications and other stroke treatments aligned with the most up-to-date, evidence-based guidelines with the goal of speeding recovery and reducing death and disability for stroke patients. Before discharge, patients should also receive education on managing their health, get a follow-up visit scheduled, as well as other care transition interventions.
People who have symptoms of a stroke need to call 911 immediately.
A simple way to remember the warning signs of a stroke is the acronym BE FAST. It stands for:
- Balance (sudden loss of balance)
- Eyes (sudden loss of vision in one or both eyes)
- Face drooping
- Arm weakness
- Speech difficulty
- Time to call 911
STEMI Receiving Center
St. Francis is Joint Commission certified and Los Angeles County Emergency Medical Services Agency approved STEMI receiving center. STEMI stands for ST Elevation Myocardial Infarction, a severe heart attack caused by clogging in the arteries. There are only 36 STEMI Receiving Centers in Los Angeles County. St. Francis Medical Center is the only STEMI Receiving Center within our service area and is an important provider of percutaneous coronary intervention treatment services for residents.
Ensuring Your Health and Safety
We’ve taken steps to ensure your safety when you visit our emergency department:
- Mandatory masks: All patients and visitors must be masked.
- Patient safety: Anyone with COVID-19 symptoms is isolated from waiting areas, patient rooms, entrances, and any space that the general population uses.
- Cleaning: Our teams are providing extra cleaning and disinfecting in all spaces.